Aiken Promotions present
Backroad Comedy Show
Tickets on sale Monday 10th October priced €15 (including booking fee) from www.ticketmaster.ie & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide. 0818 719 300 – Republic of Ireland customers 0844 277 4455 – Northern Ireland customers 00353 1 456 9569 – International customer
A comedy show with a difference. Touring all over Ireland this winter.
You might know comedian Jarlath Regan from his appearances on such television shows as The Panel, Comedy Central’s The World Stands Up, The Apprentice You’re Fired or more recently The Rumour Room. Then again you might not, because Jarlath has taken the backroads to success in Irish comedy. Formerly employed in the graphic design sector he chose to leave his desk job in 2006 to pursue his dream of making people laugh for a living. After five years, two best-selling books, one cult hit comedy album and three critically acclaimed Fringe shows later he is not regretting a thing and taking his biggest and best show on tour around the backroad’s of Ireland for the first time ever.
His new show is jam packed with the kind of jokes, stories, illustrations, videos and audience interaction that have earned him the tag “comedy genius” from The Irish Times and a legion of diehard fans across the UK and Ireland. The Backroad Comedy Show will travel across Ireland to some of the most remote and beautiful small venues the country has to offer for one night only Jarlath will host a comedy night like no other.
Speaking about the vision for the tour Jarlath has said, “I think people want more than just a man and a microphone on stage when they come to see comedy. I feel really proud that we have found some of the most unique little spots around the country to bring a comedy show that gives the audience something special for their money. Not only will the venues be off the beaten path but the shows themselves will feature new acts doing brilliant and brave new things and my own hour which features all kinds of different material and funny stuff that people don’t normally see or expect.”
Some Things You Might Not Know About Jarlath Regan:
• He got his start in comedy when in 2003 Ardal O’Hanlon saw him deliver a speech in college and asked him to write material for his up-coming tour.
• In 2007 he made a hidden camera documentary for TV3 about the Edinburgh Fringe in which he posed as his own agent and blagged his way behind some of the Festival’s velvet ropes.
• Jarlath has published two best-selling illustrated books based on cartoons from his show – How To Break Bad News / Putting A Ring On It (Published by Transworld for Random House).
• Having met in 2008, Jason Byrne invited Jarlath to support him on his national tour.
• While at college Jarlath invented an award called “The James Joyce Award” in an effort to attract well-known speakers to his campus. To date dozens of the world’s bigest names have accepted the award including Noam Chomsky, Bob Geldof, Will Ferrell and Hans Blix.
WHAT THE CRITICS HAVE SAID:
“Regan’s subtle observational style and wry musings on why the world is the way it is, are a refreshing and hilarious change of pace. A charmingly whimsical and very enjoyable show.” – The Independent *****
“Jarlath Regan may just be the most promising comedian doing the rounds. Presenting to his audience a subtle yet sublime helping of observational wit that’s both intelligent and humorous without ever sounding forced.” – The Herald *****
“Side-splitting stuff.”- Metro ****
“Not as well-known as some Irish stand-ups, but every bit as talented.”
– Sunday Express ****
As seen on TELEVISION:
The World Stands-Up (Comedy Central), Just For Laughs (RTE 2), Nobody Knows Jarlath Regan (TV3), The Panel (RTE 1), Stand and Deliver (RTE 2), The Apprentice You’re Fired (TV3), The Rumour Room (RTE 2) and Tonight With Craig Doyle (RTE 1).
Spirit of the Fringe 2008, Edinburgh Fringe Sell-Out 2008, 2009, 2010.